It's funny that you should mention that...

I am the Chief Engineer for 2 television stations where I live.  One
of my transmitters is out of state in Arkansas.   I too built two
identical buildings for my full power ATSC transmitters.  The
building out of state was such a breeze!!!.. Because the square
footage was less than X.. I didn't require any inspections, or
strange permits.... The state feller showed up, looked up at the
tower, had a cup of coffee, and asked questions not related to
building, (hunting accually) and left.

HOWEVER.. IN Louisiana...  First I couldn't act as the General
Contractor.. Then you have 2 different inspecting officials, Fire
Marshall, and Local building inspector (which was sub contracted out
to another company)  It was a living nightmare... When I started, I
had to submit plans and drawings of this little 20x40' building. Then
they wanted exact drawings of the electrical and plumbing for the
building.  Well, if any of you have installed a Television
transmitter lately, A lot of it is quite dynamic depending on
location of the tower to the ice bridge, feed through points, and the
location of the RF system.  It took a month and a half just to get
the plans approved through the fire marshall... The rest is just down
hill, including handicap accessable bathroom (uh..hello, you have to
walk quite a bit to get to the building.  I'm afraid a hover-round
isn't gonna make it.And this is NO offence to our disabled repeater
builders)emergency lighting (the site has a huge backup generator
that kicks on after 2 seconds of power failure), emergency egress
signage (there are no walls except the exterior walls, and one door)

When it came to fire suspression systems, they couldn't figure out
why I didn't want to use sprinklers.   A non conductive, non residue
hand held fire suspression system finally was agreed upon.  My
project in Louisiana cost double of my other one.

In short... Building codes are NOT the same from state to state.
Never assume that because it NEC compliant, that it will pass
Louisiana's (or another state's) code..

73 de Joe KB5VJY

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Zeman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's funny you mention building construction. I work for a company
that,
> under the original ownership in the 70's, built two identical
> facilities, one in California and one in Illinois. I work for the
> company in Illinois. The buildings were constructed to California
code,
> and I'm sure you can imagine the problems we've had with the
buildings
> in the winter.
>
> Chris
> N9XCR
>

> On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 13:12 -0500, Ron Wright wrote:
> > Dave,
> >
> > This is a code requirement here in my county and think all of
Florida.

> > The code requirements for building is a county/state issue and
vary.
> > Most use the NEC code. Many have additional codes such as having
wind
> > resistance building. The way homes are constructed in the north
would
> > not be allowed in Florida mainly due to the wind. This is why we
see
> > so much concrete block construction with lots of requirements for
> > attaching to foundation and roof securing. Just different part of
the
> > US.
> >
> > Same with electric code. For various reasons some additional
changes
> > are often made. Just because you have a code in your area does not
> > mean it is in all of US. It is county mostly with some state
codes. In
> > my county there were NO building codes until the 70s. Can you
believe
> > this.
> >
> > 73, ron, n9ee/r
> >
> > >From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >Date: 2008/07/06 Sun AM 11:43:50 EDT
> > >To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
> > >Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: RadioShack Recalls Power
Supplies
> > Due toElectrocution and Fire Hazards
> >

> > >Where is the requirement for running a separate feed to EACH
OUTLET
> > >REQUIRED? Not in the US> A "dedicated out is required for
certain
> > >special situations but not for each outlet elsewhere. There are
> > certain
> > >other requirements such as GFCI and AFCI. But, certainly no
> > dedicated
> > >feeder for each out.

> > different buss bar. I had thought maybe because the neutral was
> > sometimes, not now to code, smaller than the neutral. However,
both
> > got connected to the panel case. One can Ohm out neutral to
safety and
> > only see the resistance in the wiring to/from the panel. However,
as
> > you well know, should not be considered the same.

> > coated, but some is still bare as you said. I've seen lots of
this.

> > size as neutral . No more of the 14-2 w/G cable, but 14-3 one
being
> > safety ground color or bare. Also they are doing something
different,
> > a separate set of wires must be ran between panel and each
outlet...no
> > more of one wire to one outlet and then from here to another
outlet,
> > etc. Can you imagine the extra cost and labor. Not sure what they
do
> > at the breaker panel...put in separate breaker for each outlet.
Not
> > sure if this NEC code or something to do with the hurricane code
we
> > have here in Florida. We do lots of construction very different
here,
> > hi.

Power
> > Supplies Due toElectrocution and Fire Hazards

> > (western IL)
> > cable, and
> > smaller than

GC