It is interesting to see the many responses, none of which I have problems with, but all seem to skirt your question.  If you are moving the site any distance from the present site, then it is very true that these variables must be considered.  If you are moving only a very short distance from your current site, then, I believe what you are looking for is a simple formula to givr a close guess of what to expect.  I think you will find that should yout take the square root of the change in height, in this case, the square root of 100 which is 10, and mulitply that by the square root of 2, which is 1.414, you will come up with an approximattion of 14 or so miles improvement.  Again, as others have pointed out, many variables inter into the equasion, but then, the bumble bee can not fly either. . . ..

Hope this helps.
73 and cheers,
Gene, W4FWG
************
-------------- Original message from Chuck Kimball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: --------------

At one point I had read a number for figuring out the gain you get by
increasing the height. Of course at the moment I'm unable to locate that.

ie: If I move the same antenna (VHF 2m) up a hill and gain 100' of
elevation, but it costs me the line loss (300'), did I really gain
anything.
I'll figure in the line loss, and adjust the hardline to minimize the
loss, but I'm looking for the number to compare how much gain (in db)
did I get with the increased height.

So... Anyone know what number is for gain as a function of height? or
know a reference I can look up.

Thanks
Chuck
n0nhj