At 16:42 8/10/2008, Dick wrote:
>An antenna's gain is what it is and it doesn't change with elevation.

I am assuming you mean elevation over the surrounding terrain??

This is not true.  For example, a dipole has an energy distribution
pattern that changes markedly with height above ground.   Just try
using a NVIS for DX!   And verticals become ineffective at very high
installation points unless special steps are taken to compensate (by
improving the counterpoise).  Anyway, that's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco   NE5EE     gomberg1 at wcf dot com
All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html