Skipp,

Please explain your first statement. if I can't see it on the spectrum
analyzer, then what is it?

No circulator/isolator in line during test.  VSWR is indetectable between
the TX and the cans.

If I lower the power enough, the desense goes away. just as I'd expect.
It's a matter of scale, after all.

By the way. the symptoms are both the same with 2 separate repeaters (I
amended my first post to say that), so unless they both have the same
problems, the issue is not the with TX.

Mike