From: DCFluX <dcf...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Site Generator - First 09 War Story
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, January 8, 2009, 11:08 AM

            I'll see your genset woes and raise you 2 breaks in a sites power
line.

This is at KZKE-FM. In 1975 some idiot buried at least 4640 feet

(measured with a GPS) of 00 gage aluminum. I should also mention that

this is spliced together power pole drop line and was not meant to be

buried.

When the ground gets wet the weight shifts and rocks skin insulation

off the line. The result is what can only be considered an electrical

leak. Electricity conducts literally to ground. The result is the

aluminum wire reverts back to alumina, a fine white powder based on

bauxite that is a ceramic.

The current conditions are text book classic for frozen tundra, But

things have improved. Last week it was ankle deep snow in most places

and knee deep in some. Now it is just mud. Mud, mud, sticky mud, mud

in the water, do you understand that? I even found mud in sealed

containers there was so much of it.

We spent all day yesterday digging holes and still didn't find the

break, and there are 2 different breaks by my reckoning. Station has

been without power since Christmas. Pretty much my weekend is going to

be shot. Planning on renting a Bobcat with a hoe and tracks. The

ground is still too wet to efficiently dig with a shovel.

    __,___