The fines for keeping a station's analog transmitter going beyond the DTV
transition date are far less than the ad revenue a station can make on that
analog transmitter, reaching homes that competitor stations in the market
that are digital-only can't deliver to because Joe Public procrastinated and
still has analog-only television sets...

Broadcast stations live and die by advertisers - the cost of operating a
station, coupled with the enormous expense of network programming, is
ginormous... I can honestly say I've seen profit/loss projections using the
"keep analog on, pay fines later" model from one of our local
broadcasters...

The point of holding off until the economy turns around, let alone having a
lender finance the auction winner's purchase, is both rational and,
unfortunately, likely.

73s,
AJ, K6LOR