Legally, you should be identifying by giving your call.  But, that is
inviting a conversation with whoever hears you.  One of the repeaters
here has a ham who hangs around constantly.  Sometimes I chose not to
talk to him, but just want to check and see if the repeater is on the
air and OK.  (I help maintain the repeater).  Yes, I am guilty of
illegal kerchunking.

An antikerchunk filter that shortens the repeater tail time can make
things worse.  The kerchunker does not hear the tail come back to
him/her, so they keep on trying.  All the other users hear many short
bursts of carrier.  Much more annoying than a single kerchunk.

I actually like to hear kerchuncks.  That means that there are users out
there tuned to my repeaters.  With so much dead air time on repeaters
lately, it's nice to know there is "someone home" out there.  When I
hear a kerchunker I will usually key up and sign my call to see if they
want to talk or get a signal report.  Sometimes (alot) they don't come
back to me.  Maybe I too am one of those "repeater trolls" that no one
wants to talk too!  Oh well, such is life, I never built repeaters to
win a popularity contest.

73, Joe, K1ike