  From: Nate Duehr
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:01 PM
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Awfully quiet today

  On Apr 5, 2009, at 9:08 AM, rahwayflynn wrote:

  > --- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Nate Duehr <n...@...> wrote:
  >> Broadband access is not on the "Regulated" side of telcos in most
  >> States, last I checked. No Public Utility groups involved in it.
  >
  > Verizon offers both tarrifed and non-tarrifed ISDN PRI/T1/T3
  > circuits. The BPU is certainly regulating the tarrifed side of the
  > house. Example: Hospital and handicapped do not pay for directory
  > assistance (NJBPU tariff #2)

  Yeah, the devil is always in the details. I didn't consider ISDN PRI
  since that's not really "3rd generation" broadband... things like xDSL
  and in the non-telco world, cablemodems. But yes, I can see where
  ISDN would have both tariffed and non-tariffed options in many
  regional areas. Same thing with "traditional" telco data circuits
  like DS-3 and OC-3/12/etc.

  (Can I really say that Cable is the "non-telco world" nowadays? Hmm..
  interesting question. Convergence...)

  In general, it always comes down to "you get what you pay for"...
  those circuits aren't nearly as inexpensive as the xDSL and other more
  "modern" broadband circuits. The original poster was bummed out by
  Comcast and there were stories of no SLA (Service Level Agreements) on
  those types of circuits, even so-called "commercial" or "business"
  circuits from them, versus traditional telco circuits.

  And even in either high-speed data world, there's still real people
  running the networks -- sometimes making mistakes, and things go
  down. I'm sure there was some poor person or team who was paged in to
  fix the mail issues at Comcast during the outage! And a carefully
  offered 12-pack of beer to the correct technician, helped a company I
  worked for get a mis-ordered (by the telco, not us) DS-3 cross-connect
  done on a Sunday night once... when we knew that's what had happened,
  and the tech knew that the re-order/fix-order paperwork would follow
  nearly immediately on Monday...

  Us "infrastructure" folks who run repeaters certainly understand the
  "we need to get this back on the air!" feeling! We've all been there!

  --
  Nate Duehr, WY0X
  n...@natetech.com