On May 8, 2009, at 8:17 PM, Chuck Kelsey wrote:

> Like I said, mine were the smaller red and black ones. I believe 35
> amp. I
> have never crimped them, just soldered. I believe they are
> advertised as
> being able to just solder if so desired. Maybe that's the problem.
>
> Chuck
> WB2EDV

Chuck,

See if you can find someone with the proper crimp tool and look
carefully at the HEIGHT of the resulting connection.  I, like others
here -- but I was trying to stay out of it, since PowerPole
discussions always lead a little bit to the "religious debate" side of
things, vs. the technical -- haven't had ANY problems with PowerPoles,
but I make sure the seller is selling the real-deal by brand name, and
not knock-offs, and I use the big/proper crimp tool to make the
connections.

When you solder them, the most common failure/problem I've seen is
that the connection stays as "tall" as the wire gauge, and if you can
get a good look at a properly crimped one, they're "shorter".  When
the inner connector pieces are too tall, there's no "play" for the
connector to "lock/click" into the internal spring, and there's no way
for the spring to "push" on the connector, holding it together at the
"hump".  My opinion, anyway...

I've used Powerpoles in my VHF+ "rover"/mobile station exclusively,
and I've only ever had ONE disconnect during bouncy dirt roads in a
Jeep.  The PowerPole "bar" is mounted horizontally so that the
connectors are ALWAYS hanging sideways, and the wire pulls on them,
and they stay in fine for the weekend of driving...

PowerPoles fall into the same category as anything RF or DC that
Amphenol makes, I think.  Lots of knock-offs, but only with the
original Anderson product, and the correct tools, do they seem to
always work fine for my purposes.

Ask your vendor if they're using the real-deal, and not a knock-off,
and get a look at a connection made with the big/real crimp tool.
(Not even the little pliers that some vendors sell really do it right.)

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com