On Thu, 21 May 2009, atms169 wrote:
> Yes, 80 dB on the duplexers, 100 watts in, that's 10 dB and the preamp
> 18 dB, so I'm losing 8 dB ??

Assuming you're not experiencing front-end overload because of your
pre-amp.

> The sensitivity I believe is 0.4 uV Dstar system.
>
> I live in Texas where it's flat.  I'm adjusting my station to
> compensate for the height value.  More power good receive.  There is a
> 1000 foot commercial tower here which would have been perfect, but
> they want too much to let me use it.

Yeah, they tend to charge quite a bit to get to the top of a 1kft tower.

> I had thought of adding two more cans and purchasing a new phasing
> harness but, someone told me to stop and just add more filters.
>
> So I'm not sure which direction to go.
>
> I would like to push more power if possible.

Transmit power does not equal recieve capability. You have to think
bi-directionally. If you have a 6dBd antenna, and a mobile has a 3dBd
antenna (unlikely these days), then transmitting 5W is equivalent to the
mobile transmitting 10W. However, reciever sensitivity plays an
important part as well. If you can't hear a station who is running 50W
into a 3dBd antenna, he likely is not in a position to hear your
repeater at 25W into a 6dBd antenna.

Again, take out the pre-amp, insert a silver-plated teflon barrell.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Analyst