Receiver gain does not work the same as transmitter power increase. A 10 db
increase in transmitter power is not the equivalent of adding a 10 db preamp
on the receiver. It would be if your receiver was very noisy
(internally)(very poor receiver) to start with and the 10 db preamp overcame
the receiver noise by that amount. But that rarely is the case. With a good
receiver to start with you may gain only a couple of db realization on the
receiver when adding 10 db or more gain ahead of it. You may not realize any
increase in signal recovery if there is a high noise level at the site.

Also for every db of gain that you add in front of the receiver you decrease
the intermod performance of the receiver by the same amount.

73
Gary  K4FMX