I have found that most radios made since the late 90's in the public 
safety world are capable (some earlier ones could not handle 2.5 KHz 
channel steps) and most ham rigs that I have seen made since 2000 (about 
then) have been able to do it, however I have only one ham rig (other 
than my HF radio (FT-847)) that will do 2.5 KHz as a selectable channel 
step, has good frequency stability and does both PL/DPL and that is the 
Kenwood TM-271A.

James WJ1D





afa5tp wrote:
> I was under the impression that the "Astro Spectra" was capable of "Narrow 
> Band" operation.
>
> Tim Hardy
> W7TRH/AFA0TP
>
> --- In [email protected], "Jim Cicirello" <ka2...@...> wrote:
>   
>> We must look far beyond the repeater that we narrow band. What about the
>> linked systems? We would no longer be able to use the favorite Maxtrac or
>> Radius for Link Radios as there is no narrow band kits available. Thousands
>> of these units will be taken out of commercial use, and I was looking
>> forward to getting this equipment for ham use. Then there is the popular
>> Spectra that many of us are using for Mobile and Base Radios in the ham
>> band. They are Superior to the ham grade radios in selectivity, audio, etc,
>> but again they will not narrow band. Let's not loose site that this decision
>> will cost us big bucks above and beyond the price of Narrow Banding the
>> repeater to keep our systems going. 
>>
>>  
>>
>> Comments please..Jim  KA2AJH   
>>
>>  
>>
>> From: [email protected]
>>     

Reply via email to