Hi John,

 Replacing the Radio is not going to solve the problem. You will be very
disappointed when you send the money on new equipment and find you still have
the problem.

 So here is where to start with what information you have provided:

        1. Check that there is not an antenna problem, Check VSWR at the
antenna.  Then check at the station end.
        2. Connect a dummy load at the antenna end of the cable, and then turn
up the power. If no de-sense then there is something with the antenna or its
placement. How far away is it vertically?

John Wrote:
>However, we can not raise the power above 10 watts before de-sense sets in.
>Also the >radio will climb in power level as it gets hot.
>
>I set it at 5 watts out and by the end of a half hour net it is up to 12 watts
>out.

What is the rated power of the PA? If its say a 100w and you are running it
that low then I will mention that you can not do this. You need to run at near
the rated power for the PA to perform properly. (100w pa works best at 80+)

-Richard

________________________________
I am looking at the changing radios on our repeater because of the problems we
are having.

We are using a GE Mastr II into a 6 can duplexer and up via 1/2 hardline to a
G7-144.

However, we can not raise the power above 10 watts before de-sense sets in.
Also the radio will climb in power level as it gets hot.

I set it at 5 watts out and by the end of a half hour net it is up to 12 watts
out.

In my opinion this is not right.

What radio would be good for a 2 meter repeater.

Thanks and 73
John, W3ML