You certainly don't want just any old coax. You for sure don't want any type
of "hard line" run up the mast as the flexing will break the center
conductor or outer conductor.

You want to have a stranded cable such as RG8 type. Also don't use any type
of "foam" dielectric type cable on a boat as the center conductor will
migrate to the shield and short the cable especially at places where the
cable bends. Polyethylene center insulator is best for this application.
Even though foam has slightly lower loss, the low loss doesn't do you any
good if the cable fails.

Inside a sailboat mast there is no way to secure the cable and it will flop
around inside the mast. Lots of stress on the cable.

As a side note, there should be NO solid conductor wires used on any boat.
Only stranded wires due to the constant movement and related stress.

73

Gary  K4FMX

  _____