All of these ideas (and they are just ideas, with some experience put behind
it) have merit. Just to think of the bigger picture, you may want to have a
spare antenna somewhere on the boat so that if you are de-masted, you can still
communicate. Your range will suffer only a bit if you still can talk well from
20 feet above water (or whatever you can muster). No matter what coax you use,
and what antenna you have, you still have a failure point and a spare is the
only recovery at sea.

Depending on the boat size, you can either mount one, or have one that clamps
to a side rail, or whatever - just have a spare. The antenna, no matter which
type of coax or even antenna, is more likely to fail before the radio.

Just my $0.02 worth

Doug in Seattle