It comes down to "where are the IM products really being generated".

I think what Skipp is trying to say is that if the preamp generates spurious
products from overload that fall outside of the center frequency, that
filtering behind the preamp will help keep those products out of the
receiver.
While this may be true, keep in mind that any IM products that are generated
by the preamp are going to be at fairly low levels because of the
inefficiency of the mixing action in the preamp. A mixer is what it becomes
when you get into the non linear range of the preamp.
But as with any mixer its product amplitude is going to be way down from the
signals that cause the mixing. The off frequency products generated by a non
linear preamp are not the real problem. It is the on frequency products that
get thru. They are going to be relatively weak also but because they are on
frequency everything in the chain is going to amplify them.

Filtering at the output of the preamp will do nothing to reduce any mixing
action in the preamp as that is dependent on input level. Measuring 3rd
order products is done at the output of the device so with filters at the
output it is going to look like the filters are helping reduce these off
frequency products but that is not how you measure IM performance of a
device. They are usually referenced to on frequency levels.
Also keep in mind when reading IM specs for an amplifier that some
manufacturers reference to the input and some reference to the output of the
amplifier. Referencing to the output makes the spec look better by the
amount of gain that the amp has.

Adding filters to the output of the device can help reduce the IM tendencies
in the following receiver however by keeping off frequency signals out of
the receiver. It is the total amount of power that reaches a device that
causes overload. But any off frequency IM products that may be generated in
the preamp will be much weaker than direct off frequency signals

So the addition of filters after the preamp may seem like they help the
preamp but they are really helping the receiver from generating IM in its
first active stage. Remember that when you add a preamp you destroy the IM
performance of the receiver by the amount of gain in the preamp.

73
Gary  K4FMX