Thanks Tom.  I've previously looked at the setup screen accessible during boot.
 I do believe that cache is turned ON but on my particular computer have not
discovered a way to turn it off in setup.  I also did not find a "gear shift"
for speed.

I'll keep looking or find a utility to handle it.
Thanks

-mike/w5jr