At 09:20 PM 08/11/10, you wrote:

> [...]

Add "Hijack This!" to your toolkit.
Excellent for clearing crud out of hijacked browsers.
I keep a copy in my virus removal toolkit - and the
copy is named iexplore.exe so that the malware
that does filename checks lets it run (like some
blackmail-ware).

Add Mike Lin's Startup Control (the single file exe version,
not the installed version) as it helps resolve issues with
programs that start when the system starts up.

I have all my antivirus tools on a SD card that is in a USB
flash drive reader.  Why an SD card? Because the card has
a write protect switch.  Load the card, flip the switch, and it
can't be written to like a regular flash drive can.
Other than write protection I treat it just like any other flash
drive.

See
<http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SDR-1/SD-CARD-READER/WRITER-USB-2.0/1.html>
The reader costs $4.  A 4gb card is under $20.
Naturally larger cards are more expensive.

The SD card and matching reader is cheap protection for the
antivirus / malware remover part your computer toolkit.

The only complaint I have is that the All Electronics reader is
a bit "fat" and blocks the adjacent USB jack on some systems.
A 3 inch USB extension cord fixes that.

Lastly - never use a flash drive / thumb drive / pen drive as your
permanent storage - only as a secondary or transit storage device.
I've seen too many die with no notice, and be irrecoverable.  One
client's daughter lost a three week vacation / honeymoon worth
of photos.  Another lost several hundred photos of a Grand Canyon
raft trip.
Both my 16bg regular toolkit and my 4gb antivirus toolkit have a
backup copy as a folder on a raid-protected server and as a folder
on my laptop.  If the flash drive dies (and it has twice in three
years) I just buy a new one,  load it up and use it.

Mike WA6ILQ