  From: Mike Morris
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:32 AM
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Sorry everyone

  At 09:20 PM 08/11/10, you wrote:

> [...]

  Add "Hijack This!" to your toolkit.
  Excellent for clearing crud out of hijacked browsers.
  I keep a copy in my virus removal toolkit - and the
  copy is named iexplore.exe so that the malware
  that does filename checks lets it run (like some
  blackmail-ware).

  Add Mike Lin's Startup Control (the single file exe version,
  not the installed version) as it helps resolve issues with
  programs that start when the system starts up.

  I have all my antivirus tools on a SD card that is in a USB
  flash drive reader. Why an SD card? Because the card has
  a write protect switch. Load the card, flip the switch, and it
  can't be written to like a regular flash drive can.
  Other than write protection I treat it just like any other flash
  drive.

  See

<http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SDR-1/SD-CARD-READER/WRITER-USB-2.0/1.html>
  The reader costs $4. A 4gb card is under $20.
  Naturally larger cards are more expensive.

  The SD card and matching reader is cheap protection for the
  antivirus / malware remover part your computer toolkit.

  The only complaint I have is that the All Electronics reader is
  a bit "fat" and blocks the adjacent USB jack on some systems.
  A 3 inch USB extension cord fixes that.

  Lastly - never use a flash drive / thumb drive / pen drive as your
  permanent storage - only as a secondary or transit storage device.
  I've seen too many die with no notice, and be irrecoverable. One
  client's daughter lost a three week vacation / honeymoon worth
  of photos. Another lost several hundred photos of a Grand Canyon
  raft trip.
  Both my 16bg regular toolkit and my 4gb antivirus toolkit have a
  backup copy as a folder on a raid-protected server and as a folder
  on my laptop. If the flash drive dies (and it has twice in three
  years) I just buy a new one, load it up and use it.

  Mike WA6ILQ