This has always interested me, and I've never seen a good technical reason for
a loss of range with narrow deviation and receivers, either.  But <somewhere>
one must exist.  If it didn't, there'd be no reason not to take analog
deviation down to say, 1 kc., or 0.1 kc., would there?

And I don't think that knowing a repeater's tail signal strength doesn't change
is an apples to apples comparison.

Laryn K8TVZ