Mark R. Diggory wrote:

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 14:41, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

Mark R. Diggory wrote:

We should seriously consider establishing a "standards" community
to establish supporting efforts such as this.

This list is our "standards" community.

While trying to maintain a tone of fairness I have to state that, the history of flame wars on this list really injured the productivity of the project and the involvement of "all" the parties. I don't think its possible to have a standard with only one party present at the table. All the Apache projects interested in this spec have to stay at the table, everyone has to be willing to make compromises to maintain the groups cohesion. If this list is going to be a "standards community" everyone needs to stay involved.

You are just validating what I said IIUC, albeit with a pessimistic view ;-)

CJAN been hard at work with alot of "documentation effort". What are
individuals thoughts on this project and its model?

That it has nothing to show, only ideas and musings. We already have working systems, and also a possible 2.0 spec that has come out of discussions here.

We still have to finish to implement the 1.0 spec at Apache, and IMHO this is what we should focus ATM.

Yes, a spec is pretty much useless without actual tools that are capable of applying it, and spec isn't a "standard" unless all tools agree to use maintain the contracts defined within it. If any dominant tool goes renegade or egotistical and begins altering the contract, then...so much for a standard.

Of course. That's why I am particularly in favor of adopting right away the existing standard, the Maven one, and work together for the next level. My hope is that working to implement what there already is now, we will learn to work better together.