Matthew, thanks very much for your feedback. I may bite the bullet and try your
suggested "last resort method" on one of the nodes. I'll let you know how that
goes. All nodes are 1.3 or newer.

As to your question: my key is a bit of both and is quite long for typical Riak
usage I guess. The first part is a sort of device-ID indicating where the data
came from (typical Riak-generated random key generated when a new device is
added to the system), there are around 500 devices in the system now. The
second part is typical timestamp in yyyymmdd notation. As an example:
qvKKWKrCHLzRTYZBnDNkL6aaRFU20120619098357011462. This allows for selection of a
certain date range for a single device using 2i on $key which actually works
very well and has decent performance (the same timestamp is also stored as an
_int index to select across devices).

Regards,
Timo