Timo,

Your email again brought up the topic of fixing this issue within Basho's
leveldb.  Previously there had always been a "bigger problem" and we did not
worry about tombstone (delete) purging.  Today, we have all but one of the
"bigger problems" coded.  I therefore have created a plan to track tombstones
and automatically perform background compactions to purge the old data and the
tombstone.

This tombstone initiated, background compaction will occur at a lower priority
than ingest and directory size compactions.

The current plan would only "know about" tombstones created after the new code
is released.  It will not magically search your entire data set to find
existing tombstones.  But over time, any prior tombstones found in a regular
compaction will lead to a grooming compaction of those tombstones.

Matthew