Simon,

The key issue is that the procedure below has only been performed a few times,
and only by people outside of Basho.  No complaint has surfaced, but that does
not mean the procedure is safe or thoroughly tested.

We have developed a plan for addressing the situation safely, but it is several
weeks away.

That said, your three point plan below is the best known available today.

Matthew