Thanks Matthew,

but one thing I didn't get. If I delete a sst file.. should I delete
(by hand) the MANIFEST file to trigger a repair or is it done
automatically within Riak if it detects that a sst file which is
referenced in the MANIFEST is missing?

Cheers
Simon

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:58:51 -0400
Matthew Von-Maszewski <matth...@basho.com> wrote:

> Simon,
>
> I want to point out again that I do not like my answer … but currently lack a
> better one.  The manual delete of .sst files should be treated as a last
> resort.  Only do it if you really, really cannot wait for normal compactions
> to purge the old data.
>
> To your question:
>
> leveldb keeps a list of .sst table files in its MANIFEST file.  If the .sst
> table files are deleted manually, the MANIFEST is no longer accurate.  An
> inaccurate MANIFEST file leads to leveldb internal errors and sometimes
> infinite loops.
>
> The repair process erases the current MANIFEST file and builds a new one
> based upon the files actually found on disk.
>
> WARNING:  repair takes a really, really long time in Riak 1.2.0 … it gets
> better in 1.2.1 … and improves to something quite reasonable by 1.3 and 1.4.
>
> A discussion about repair can be found here:
>
> https://github.com/basho/leveldb/wiki/repair-notes
>
> Matthew
>

> On Sep 25, 2013, at 9:38 AM, Simon Effenberg <seffenb...@team.mobile.de>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:15:33 -0400
> > Matthew Von-Maszewski <matth...@basho.com> wrote:
> >
> >> - run Riak repair on the vnode so that leveldb can create a MANIFEST that
> >> matches the files remaining.
> >
> > what do you mean with this? Wait for AAE? Request each key to trigger
> > read repair or do I miss something?
> >
> > We are in a similar situation.. only sst_4 exists in our situation but
> > we also delete old stuff regularly..
> >
> > Cheers
> > Simon

Simon Effenberg | Site Ops Engineer | mobile.international GmbH
Fon:     + 49-(0)30-8109 - 7173
Fax:     + 49-(0)30-8109 - 7131

Mail:     seffenb...@team.mobile.de
Web:    www.mobile.de

Marktplatz 1 | 14532 Europarc Dreilinden | Germany

Geschäftsführer: Malte Krüger
HRB Nr.: 18517 P, Amtsgericht Potsdam
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Kleinmachnow