Greetings,
Christian Estelmann

[1] https://www.mdsec.co.uk/2015/09/an-introduction-to-hardware-hacking-the-ripe-atlas-probe/

Am 25.01.2016 um 16:28 schrieb Tanner Ryan:
An issue with having a FAQ for the failing USBs is that people will
perform the procedure when it is not necessary.

I think though that there should still be more debugging info for
connections.

On Monday, January 25, 2016, <sarah.wasserm...@student.ulg.ac.be
<mailto:sarah.wasserm...@student.ulg.ac.be>> wrote:

    +1 !

    Sarah

    ----- Mail original -----
    De: "Ondřej Caletka" <ondrej.cale...@cesnet.cz <javascript:;>>
    À: ripe-atlas@ripe.net <javascript:;>
    Envoyé: Lundi 25 Janvier 2016 16:20:50
    Objet: [atlas] An article/FAQ entry about probe troubleshooting

    Hi all,

    it seems that failing probes are getting more and more to be an issue,
    possibly due to USB flash drive failure. I think it would be nice if
    there was an article / FAQ entry with some official troubleshooting
    procedures, so we could just send a link to anybody complaining about
    non functional probe.

    Is there something like this on the roadmap? Perhaps we as the community
    could make something up:

      - how to check whether the port probe is connected to has proper
    IP and
    DNS parameters and is allowed to establish a SSH session to TCP port 443
    in the Internet (beware of DPI firewalls that allow HTTPS but not SSH
    over 443)

      - how to check the LED status and the SOS list at the probe page (the
    current LED explanation in the FAQ is too techy and even power users
    like me still don't understand all presented states :) )

      - how to diagnose USB flash drive failure, how to force reformatting
    the flash drive and how to replace it with a new one

    What do you think?

    Cheers,
    Ondřej Caletka
    CESNET