A note on the usability of Linux for Windows denizens:

We run RDAirplay/Rivendell as our main (and only) play out system for a
community/college radio station. Our DJ staff is comprised of about 200
students and community volunteers (of which about 50 roll over each year).
This means we see a lot of individuals moving through our station, and 95%
of these individuals have never touched Linux before they walk in the door.
Using a modern Linux distro like Ubuntu with Gnome or KDE, the system is
Windows-like enough that we don't have to do any special Linux training for
our DJs. We just have to teach Rivendell (which we would have to do anyway),
not the non-Windows OS. The only other Linux app our users touch is
Firefox/Chrome, and those look the same regardless of the underlying OS. The
added complexity of training our staff to use Linux over Windows
is negligible at worst and simpler at best.

Yes, the engineering staff needs to be Linux savvy to get Rivendell setup
and running on the back end, but we have had no issues with Linux vs Windows
usability constraints for our DJs. And that's saying something considering
it's a non professional staff for whom this isn't even a full time job. As
far as the primary air-talent user base is concerned, I have seen no reason
to pick Windows over Linux.

Yes, you have to know Linux on the engineering back end, but if you take a
little time to learn it (and leverage the massive resources
available, including this list), you may find you like it from an
engineering standpoint. I think the bias toward Linux as being difficult to
learn or hard to use is far greater than the actual experience proves to be.

As far as Linux vs Windows for audio work in general, I think it's telling
that large AoIP and broadcast tech companies like Axia and Logitek run Linux
on their embedded audio devises. Try getting a Windows based AoIP node to
stream your 5.1 HD audio 24/7/365 without skipping a beat...

Cheers,
Andy Sayler
WMFO
91.5 FM Medford