To weigh in here with my experiences in both broadcast and more general
IT work- you can _get away with_ Windows without a lot of technical
knowledge. That's the whole mindset of Windows and the MS culture - you
make products that are easy/simple to use at the expense of things like
proper realtime operation or utterly rock-solid reliability. So no, to
get _an equivalent quality of service_ from Windows boxes compared to
Linux boxes takes a lot more technical expertise. I always like to look
at sound desks as an example- Midas digital desks run Linux internally.
It's an almost unmodified stock 2.6 kernel with patches for hard
realtime support but nothing much else changed. DiGiCo and some other
vendors run Windows Embedded to get the required reliability, and it
bears almost no resemblance to Windows on any level. And even at that
level, many people I know who run DiGiCos prefer to have a hot spare on
hand if budget will allow. Linux is extremely versatile; Windows is not.
That's where the ease of use comes from. Engineering is all about
tradeoffs.

At Insanity we ran 100% Windows when I first arrived. And you what? It
was awful, broken the vast majority of the time, unstable the rest of
the time, and a pain in the ass to administrate- and that was with the
entire college IT department on hand, providing us with software support
and so on. We now run 90% Linux (Windows desktops and playout still;
judged too risky a migration to do given we've just been granted and are
about to go live with a FM license which is a big deal and we can't be
retraining presenters to a new playout system right now), and it's rock
solid, stable as anything. I've not touched any of the Linux boxes for
months. We can properly monitor them, I can easily and securely remote
in to fix things if anything does go wrong, and we can build redundancy
into boxes very easily (we have two encoder machines for internet
playout, both of which will pick themselves up from pretty much any
mishaps- same goes for our file servers, mail server, web server, and so
on). We have no IT support from the college but we've got a constant
pool of Linux talent around, being a university station.

If it works, then sure, why break it? If there's problems, then fix
them. I'm glad we transitioned (even if it wasn't complete- but I was in
yesterday fixing the Windows parts _again_ and I suspect I'll be in
again tomorrow fixing the Windows parts... again), and in time I'm sure
it'll be a complete transition to replace the old Windows components.

Quality and consistency of output and content is one important factor-
but if your on-air content is 10% of the time spent with presenters
apologizing for the fact that the playout system just did something very
strange and that they weren't quite ready for their next link but here
we are anyway ramble ramble ramble, as ours is from time to time, it's
all for naught. Reliability is king, and Linux is the undisputed
champion of reliability.

Just my view on things, anyway.

Cheers,
James Harrison

On 11/10/2011 05:21, James Laurence wrote:
> Alas, you have both missed the point I was trying to make.
>
> If a broadcasting outfit is running perfectly happily and efficiently
and trouble-free on a Windows platform, and is able to be maintained by
capable staff who have only an elementary knowledge of Windows, then why
change to Linux?

> I also consider that you have overstated the Windows deficiencies and
understated the drawbacks associated with implementing a Linux-based
solution. I am familiar with both platforms and simply can't buy your
proposition that Windows "takes just as much technical competence as
running Linux does, if not more". Just not true in the numerous cases I
have witnessed.

> It is in my view also quite fallacious to assert that if there is no
such [Linux] person available to a broadcasting outfit, then "they
probably don't have a *truly competent* Windows Person available,
either". On what logic do you base that?

> Regardless of the advantages of Linux from an IT guru's point-of-view,
there is absolutely no point in "either learning it [Linux] or finding
someone that does", if (a) the budget simply can't stretch for it, and
(b) things are already going along perfectly with a Windows platform.

> Windows remains the preferred platform for a vast majority of non-IT
users around the globe, because (a) you don't have to have an
IT-proficient expert to run it, and (b) managers and non-IT personnel
can manage Windows without too much difficulty. And, if the outfit's
happy with that, why change? Change for change's sake makes no sense to me.

> In the end, what actually matters is not the computer-platform at all
but the quality and consistency of the audio you put out which listeners
will judge the station on.

> James L.
>

> > Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 22:42:35 -0400
> > From: j...@baylink.com