I can't try it right now, but isn't it possible to specify the log date
in a CHAIN command by using metacharacters instead of a hard
coded date?

I'm proposing that one codes a timed CHAIN set to trigger at,
oh say, 1 minute into the new day.  It would be in every log.
At 1 minute into the new day the CHAIN would execute, translating
the metacode to the CURRENT day's date, and as a consequence
load the log for that day's date.  When things were running
correctly, it would merely reload itself and in doing so, position
itself at the event following the CHAIN because the clock would
have advanced beyond the time for the CHAIN.  In the event a
wrong log was loaded, it would self-correct because the meta
characters would still translate to the current calendar day when
the CHAIN executed.

Another failsafe might be to permanently load a run log containing
nothing but a CHAIN an AUX deck that at 1 minute after new day,
re-loads the main deck with the  current day's run log.  That would
be it's sole duty.  Running independently of the main run log would
keep Main log sequencing from waylaying the process. How you
chose to specify the log in the CHAIN would remain your choice.

Of course this depends on my initial question's answer being "yes".
It's a question wanting to be a suggestion.

__Reid__