I've never seen this happen. My clients' stations often run out of log
before midnight; the next day's log loads a bit early but plays just fine.
I usually have a long filler scheduled just before 3 AM with a station ID
after it that is set to start at 3AM, so a couple minutes of the filler
may play and then the ID starts precisely at 3.

Do you have a timed event scheduled for just before midnight? In stations
using a Windows-based automation system I've seen people schedule a timed
event leading into an 11:56 PM stopset, and if the day's log starts before
midnight, the machine would skip to the 11:56 stopset at the end of the
log. But if Rivendell did this, I should be seeing my 3AM IDs running at
midnight every night.

Rob