First off,

I'd like to apologize for being such an ignoramus the last couple
days......chasing the wrong problem and being all panicky. really shows
how much of a linux noob i am....sorry, and thanks for your patience.

So, My /var/snd is full. I was going to bring up a backup server, but
quickly realized that  had too many issues to be done in a timely
manner, I'd have to completely reconfigure a new server, I'd need to
pull the audio card from the current server, and I'd have to pray it
went smoothly.

My new plan is thus: We have a spare Lacie NAS RAID array that I want to
copy /var/snd to and then mount it to the server as /var/snd.

Question, if I do this, it then becomes the servers /var/snd, so on the
workstations which already look at the server to mount /var/snd will
they pick it up automatically? or do I have to change any configs on the
server or workstations. or does it just make more sense to point the
workstations at the NAS? not sure if this will be a permanent solution
or not, but the servers I am using only take SCSI drives. I have the
drives to double it's storage, but they already filled it up once in
less than 6 months, though after the loading of christmas songs we
probably won't have another huge dump of songs, but our music director
says he adds about 5-10 songs a week on average. current /var/snd
is77Gb, i could get it to about 180Gb witht he SCSI drives I have now,
but the NAS is at least a Tb, though we were not intending to use it for
this purpose.

I am hesitant to try a USB drive for something so critical, probably
would give poor perfomance anyway I think the ports on this machine are
only USB1.

Thanks for your patience and help,
NS

--
Nathaniel C. Steele
Assistant Chief Engineer/Technical Director