On Wednesday 23 November 2011 09:12:03 am Nathan Steele wrote:
> My new plan is thus: We have a spare Lacie NAS RAID array that I want to
> copy /var/snd to and then mount it to the server as /var/snd.

 Good plan !

> Question, if I do this, it then becomes the servers /var/snd, so on the
> workstations which already look at the server to mount /var/snd will
> they pick it up automatically?

 It will replace the existing directory on the server, and be exported the
 same as previously. In other words, nothing to do, nothing to worry about.
 *NIX IS NOT WINDOWS !

 Here's the plan....

 Mount your new array on the server some plece.
 /mnt/NAS for example. ( I'd create the mount point just to keep things
 straight in my head, and /mnt/NAS seems as good as any )
 Copy all of the existing /var/snd to it.
 cp -a /var/snd/* /mnt/NAS/
 ( the -a flag tells cp to maintain ( as much as possible ) all characteristics
 of the source file, such as permissions and ownership )
 STOP anything using /var/snd ( this will be your biggest disruption )
 do an update.
 cp -u /var/snd/* /mnt/NAS/
 The purpose of the update is to pick up anything added or changed
 while the previous copy was running. The update should take a few seconds.
 ( nothing compared to the full copy )
 Unmount whatever is currently mounted on /var/snd
 Unmount ( the command is umount not unmount ) /mnt/NAS
 Mount the NAS device on /var/snd
 Re-start nfsd ( so it will automatically pick up any relevant changes )
 Continue as if the NAS had been on /var/snd all along.

 Notice that there are no configuration changes whatever.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

Ed Sullivan will be around as long as someone else has talent.
                -- Fred Allen