I have attempted all suggestions given to me as of December 12 2011 1913
EST. Nothing has worked. I still have the exact same problem. Solutions
I've tried:

*Checking to make sure I had correct repositories for Ubuntu 11.10 (I do)
*Checked I installed libhpi (it is installed and was installed same time
Rivendell was)
*Symlinking libhpi.so.0 and libhpi.so.9 (it symlinked according to terminal
but did not work in Rivendell)

Additional suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thank you to those who
tried to help me out here.