First, if you are in a bind, don't let me lead you astray, download the
appliance.  I'm just guessing here.

That being said and since I don't know your linux background, let me elaborate
on my suggestion.

The symbolic link should be made as follows:

cd <whatever directory libhpi.so.0 is in>

# make sure it's there, if it's a link make the file it's pointing to is there

ls -l libhpi.so.0

# make sym link

ln -s libhpi.so.0 libhpi.so.9

# then make sure the path is in the ld configuration:

echo "<whatever directory libhpi.so.0 is in>" >>
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/rivendell.conf

# then run ldconfig

ldconfig