Hi james
Are you running ubuntu or suse? I use ubuntu and it installs the required
samba bits.  You may have to manually install samba?
Cheers Geoff

Geoff Barkman

On 15/12/2011 8:34 PM, "James Laurence" <jameslaure...@hotmail.co.nz> wrote:

 Hi again,

Thanks to Geoff, Cowboy and Fred for their comments and assistance.

Geoff's idea of doing things the other way round ('putting' the files from
WinXp to Rivendell rather than Rivendell 'getting' them from WinXp) is a
good one which I had basically thought-of a while ago, but hit a roadblock.

I did create a folder under /home/[username] called 'rdtransfer', and gave
it read/write permissions etc.

But the sharing of that folder gave me problems, even when logged in as
root.  Basically when I press the button saying 'Configure File Sharing',
it greys out for 3 secs (as if it's doing something) but then comes back
exactly as before and looks at me.  No further dialog whatsoever.

It would appear that it hasn't shared a thing because 'rdtransfer' doesn't
appear under the workgroup in the WinXp machine.  So there's no folder to
try to map in WinXp.

Plus I would expect that, if it *had* shared the folder, there would be
some dialog evident on the Rivendell side enabling me to UNshare it again
if desired.

I get the feeling that there must be something really simple amiss here,
but I can't see it at present.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

James L.