One way to go is to forget about running Rivendell on the /var/snd file system
computer. If you need that much storage, set up a computer with BSD or Solaris
X86 and build a ZFS store to put your /var/snd on. Offer it as an NFS share and
after you get your simple/tiny disk Broadcast Appliance built, mount /var/snd
from the NFS share.

You'll have all the advantages of a high reliability, flexible and easy to
administer file server which can have lots of cooling fans (since it doesn't
have to be in the studio) and you'll have a simplified Rivendell installation
that can be put on a quiet, low power small foot print computer in the studio.

A lot of places put the MySQL server on the separate machine but I think it's
easiest to just let the BA disk install put that on the playout station.  You
can't hardly buy drives smaller than 320 GB these days and you only need about
10% of that for a full Rivendell installation if the audio storage is somewhere
else.

Bill Putney - KPTZ Port Townsend, WA

Sent from my iPad