I understand. We don't plan projects by dollars either. We use the
subscriber/year unit for calculating project costs.

My thought was that the less you mess with the out of the box BA the less
likely you are to have grief with it. The sound storage server is completely
autonomous and you can use about any stable *nix you like to. In your case, ZFS
is very attractive because it is very forgiving about adding non-matching
storage to an array. You could add a SATA controller card and add SATA drives
as needed later. Even if you want to transition completely to SATA from e SCSI
drives, ZFS will make that easier.

We've been running a separate server environment for Rivendell here from the
outset and never had any problems or artifacts I could tie to network file
service. The file server and the playout clients all have direct connections to
a common Ethernet switch so congestion and latency has never been a problem.

Divide and conquer!

Bill - KPTZ - Port Townsend, WA

Sent from my iPad