Do you know how to use the "patch" tool set?  If you have the diffs, you can
run patch to apply the changes automatically.  Patch can detect that the patch
is already in place for small diffs, usually, and you can automate
skipping/aborting application if you see it it place.

If you wget the source for rivendell by a specific version/name, then the
patches beyond that level just need to be applied in the appropriate order.
Once a new release appears, you just need to reconcile the patches made and
remove application of those already in place.

Gregg Wonderly