Thanks for all of the good information.

My content is almost all home-recorded readings of classic
books.  You can try some out at librivox.org.

So there are level problems and audio problems in a lot of the cuts.
For one-piece cuts I can cull out bad stuff but for larger
works where there were multiple collaborators I can get
a bum cut in the middle of a work  ( e.g.  one chapter in a book).

I'm not aiming for perfect audio, which would be impossible
given my source content.  But I would like to do a
reasonable job at level control.

Some cuts have hum and other artifacts that would be nice
to lose if it could be done without blood, sweat and tears.

Some kind of look-ahead AGC would be really nice, and the
normalization thing may be enough.  I'm not sure I care about
latency and other live-audio type features, not at this
stage of the game.

The trimming tool in the RDLibrary program is letting me
snip off intro and extro stuff.  I wish I could also x-out
an internal piece, but I can live without that.  And I am
trying to do leveling work at that stage but when I
play the cut back it is always at the same level no matter
where I set the  cut gain.  Or it sure seems that way.
So I am just going 'by eye' with the red lines and the
general visual fullness of the spectrum.

This is going to go out over the air on a new LPFM
and we hope to do streaming also.

Besides for just general production work, I am getting sales
information about LPFM transmitters and they all tout
the idea of having audio processing in the transmitter box.
But what I need may or may not be what they have in there
and I'm trying to figure out if there is any "savings!"
for me in buying such a transmitter, as the manufacturers seem
to think.

Side-chain gate is new terminology to me, so I'm going to do some study on that.

I very much appreciate the good responses to my questions.
You are helping me a lot.

Chris Howard
Classic Book Radio