>Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 17:10:05 -0500

>From: Cowboy <c...@cwf1.com<mailto:c...@cwf1.com>>

>To:
>rivendell-dev@lists.rivendellaudio.org<mailto:rivendell-dev@lists.rivendellaudio.org>

>Subject: Re: [RDD] Rivendell-dev Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1

>Personally, I always liked using a single channel balanced input,  and feeding
>L+ and R- into to it, to obtain L+R out and let the  >differential input do
>what it does !

Hey I do that!   It doesn't always work perfectly as it depends on impedances
of the inputs and outputs a little, and of course only works with "electronic
balanced" outputs (two differential amp outputs, no transformer).

Also it sure confuses people that come in behind me, so I tend to only do in
places where nobody is likely to find it!

<1391469495.86737.yahoomail...@web164801.mail.gq1.yahoo.com<mailto:1391469495.86737.yahoomail...@web164801.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>>

>Virtual idea sounds great with phase check being critical.

>For Jim's virtual approach, I would think there should be an effective
>baseline phase test one could employ.

>Something along the lines of L+R phase test audio ==> virtual summing ==>
>check result for phase (something simple & consistent).

>I'm envisioning the output could be a simple audio/listen test, and/or output
>to a file (.WAV for example), and pull up in Audacity for a >visual check?

I've never checked it this closely (I've got an Oscilloscope on my bench I
could use, but never felt the need), but one thing for sure I've never heard
the "slipping/rolling phase" problems with JackAudio as I used to when mono-ing
stereo sources that came from old fashioned tape playback!  Really unless you
want to employ a fancy "phase chaser" device or software to continuously
correct the source before summing, mixing signals with JackAudio  seems to work
fine.

Then again, I only  do this mix-2-mono stuff for IFB feeds, and other
monitoring needs (I have "Cue" buttons on RDAirplay that gets creative with my
normal stereo studio monitor speakers - Did I ever tell you Rivendell allowed
by to build a broadcast studio without a traditional physical mixing console?
We even have one, I just never had a good reason to install it yet!), and
"low-grade" (internal use) preview streams.