Just wondering, why does a windows computer need to be in the "rivendell" workgroup to see it?

I know there is some mis-information out there that suggests that you always have to be in the same workgroup, but I know that isn't true...

I have a CentOS 6.4 samba server I recently set up at work and you don't have to be in the same workgroup to see it.

Also, I can see Rivendell from my primary machine [Linux Mint], but it only seems to be Windows machines that can't see it...well XP anyway [my former primary OS].

Thanks!

-Alan