On Sunday 31 May 2015 03:49:10 pm Graham Wilman wrote:
> Well back to square one

 Not necessarily.
 the history command can be your friend.

> after getting the play out working on clienta terminal for the past 6 days
> the decision was taken today to get clientb terminal working which it now
> partially is
> unfortunately once all 3 terminals the server.clienta and clientb were
> rebooted I could
> not get play out to work on clienta again

 Re-booted why ?
 I've often said that rebooting a *nix machine is usually a bad idea.

 In this case, it sounds like it was actually a good idea, as it tells you
 that you "solved" nothing. It's still broken, and always was.

> not only that but the buttons in rdlogedit were all greyed out on clientb
> and I couldn't access the main log in Rivendell airplay which had been set up

> 0n the main server clientb could not see the log,
> the best way forward now is to try and troubleshoot the problems first
> and then come up with a permanent solution to keep all these problems at bay,

 The best way forward, is a *systematic* approach.
 One thing at a time, and keep notes.

> having said all that the last couple of commands showing in the previous
> emails is  what got clienta working last time tried them again but no success
> this time.

 I suspect not !!

 The last couple merely built on something else that had come before.

 *Systematic* troubleshooting.
 mount
 What does that tell you ?
 Have the directories been mounted ?
 If not, can you manually mount them from the command line ?
 If so, then your start-up scripts need looked at.
 If not, then you need to find out why, but do not randomly try
 hap-hazard things. That will only cloud the issues.
 If not, is the server refusing, or is the client not making the proper request
?
 Is it syntax, or making the request in the wrong order ?
 Step by step, one thing at a time.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

Old age is the most unexpected of things that can happen to a man.
                -- Trotsky