Nicholas,

While I appreciate that you're trying to get your ASI card to work, but
since you are experiencing difficulty with it you might want to take
another approach.  Consider getting Rivendell up and running with
something that's recognized by ALSA (even those cheap $2 USB sound
dongles you can find on ebay seem to work under ALSA, although the sound
quality is admittedly not that great).  Once that's working try it with
Jack.  Once working with Jack add in the ASI card with the HPI driver.

Lorne