On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 22:21:31 -0400
drew Roberts <zotz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> is there a safe way to have rivendell make this check
> and run the rdadmin bits automatically on such an upgrade?
>
> How can such automation of the database upgrade blow things up
> horribly and thus make this a terrible idea?

 Submitted for your approval....

 Take a plant like mine, or any cluster really...

 Say, I were to walk in and see that TV production is not currently
 being used, so do an upgrade there.
 The system auto-detects an obsolete database for itself, and does the
 auto-update you suggest. That database lives on a redundant hot-standby
 pair of servers serving the whole plant.

 What about the other 8 or so radio installations here, that all use
 the same database ? OK, some of them could crash horribly, and it
 wouldn't be fatal, but the live network feeds could potentially affect
 several hundred professional broadcast facilities across the country,
 and in our case across continents ( plural ), that pay us good money
 for that to not happen.

 Better, would be for the upgraded install to throw up a warning
 that the configured database is obsolete, so functionality
 may be limited, as well as un-squashing bugs, if it'll start at all.

 But in the final analysis, Rivendell is a *professional* broadcast
 play-out system, by and **for** professionals.
 In a professional environment, particularly one of a level that
 requires an actual, real system administrator, to actually administer
 systems, some things should not be automated, IMHO.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

Uncle Ed's Rule of Thumb:
        Never use your thumb for a rule.  You'll either hit it with a
hammer or get a splinter in it.