On Wed, 17 May 2017, Tom Van Gorkom wrote:

So I'm curious as to whether any of you have a way to log into your airplay
machines or other boxes on Riv at night or weekends from home if something
isn't right?  I use TeamViewer and it has saved me lots of time when I get a
call that something isn't sounding right or shouldn't be playing on the
weekend. Without an internet connection, I would have to make trips to the
studio. What do you all do?

Reverse SSH tunneling.

The Rivendell machine behind its router/firewall makes a 'reverse' SSH connection to a machine I maintain at home just for this purpose. That opens a local port on that machine which is actually a tunnel to the Rivendell machine; I can see the Rivendell desktop from any machine on my home network by issuing a command such as:

        vncviewer -via "-p 54321 10.99.9.9" localhost

...where 10.99.9.9 is the address of the machine on my home network, and 54321 is the port corresponding to the tunnel. There is a single high-numbered port on my home router that is mapped to that machine for various Rivendell machines a different stations to connect through; it's possible, albeit improbable, that someone might be able to hack in through it.

However, the Rivendell machine will ask a login password before giving me access, so even were someone to break into my home network and guess which high-numbered port I had selected for the tunnel, they still wouldn't get access easily.

If my home machine or my Internet connection goes down, the Rivendell machine will be inaccessible.

Rob

--
Я там, где ребята толковые,
Я там, где плакаты "Вперёд",