Gregory,

it will work

in that your /var/snd/ files will all be normalised by sox to -5.

However the -13 level is a better option than bumping the audio file level up.

For a number of reasons the -13 level was chosen to allow 'headroom' for the bits of audio that overshoot 0vu.

In digital audio, overshoots cause lots of instant distortion. I have a couple of Lexicon sound devices which are excellent when I allow headroom but show no mercy to the inevitable peaks in programme content.

If you need to increase the gain from the sound card out to the desk, it's relatively easy to install an amplifier which takes the sound card output and boosts it by about 20db. In our situation we took unbalanced out of the PC card and deliver balanced at +4 to a limiter which then connects to the transmitter.

If you are running the RD out through a board you may need slightly less.

I don't think you can buy a box that does the job. Our ones are an OpAmp and some components in a box with a 5v power supply.

regards

Robert Jeffares.