On Oct 31, 2018, at 15:43, Gregory Avedissian <avedis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it safe to do something as simple as having the script go to /var/snd
> and run:
> for i in *.wav ; do sox --norm=-5 "$i" /tmp/"$i" && cp /tmp/"$i" "$i" ; done
>
> Oh yeah, there will be rm /tmp/"$i" in there, too. Just noticed that.
>
> I ran a quick test, and it seems to work. Seems too easy. Am I missing
> something?

Reprocessing already-imported audio this way will likely kill waveform display
in rdlibrary(1). This is because (last I looked) sox(1) does not output fully
BWF-compliant WAV files (in particular, the LEVL chunk needed for generation of
the visual waveform). You should however be able to achieve a similar result
with full BWF compatibility by using rdconvert(1). (Do ‘man 1 rdconvert’ to get
documentation).

That said however, I’d strongly second Robert Jeffrares’s recommendation that
this be handled as part of the broadcast chain rather than by changing the gain
structure of Rivendell. -5 dBFS leaves very little headroom to work with, and
rewriting audio can cause quality degradation (especially if MPEG Layer II
format is involved).