On Nov 1, 2018, at 11:27, Cowboy <c...@cwf1.com> wrote:

> *THIS* is why 12 db or more of headroom is a good idea.
> Personally, I would not have chosen 13, because I prefer even numbers, but any
> "reasonable" number should be fine.

There’s been lots of debate about this over the years. Many American vendors
have standardized with -12, whereas our friends over the Atlantic seem to favor
-18 or even -20.  In Rivendell, the ‘reference level' is actually -16 dBFS
(that being the ‘0’ point on Rivendell’s audio meters). That number was chosen
mostly because a certain proprietary automation system to which I had access at
the time (ca. 2002) used it as well, thus making it easy to use audio from that
system for test cases.

| A successful tool is one that was used to do something undreamed of  |
| by its author.                                                       |
|                                        -- S.C. Johnson               |