Hi Alan,

Understandably you need to have a license which you can use legally.

The SourceForge version (version 6.9.0.31) is released under the GPL
Version 2 which means you can use it for commercial or non-commercial
use.  You can download it to confirm that it comes with the "GNU GPL V2"
license file.  There is a Windows installer with Windows binaries on
SourceForge that is released under GPL V2.  Or you can grab the source.
Here's a link that'll give you the binary installer:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/files/latest/download

For versions newer then 6.9.0.31 - the author has decided to put those
on his own website and they require a paid license as you've pointed
out.  Currently his website lists Version 7.7.0.38.

I agree that it is a little confusing - the author talks about the
Sourceforge release as a "public domain" release adding to the
confusion.  But this is clearly not the case.  The Sourceforge release
clearly comes with the GPL V2 license - which is not technically a
"public domain" license, but rather comes with all the rights and
protections of the GPL V2 license.  It does mean that we can use it
without an additional fee - either commercial or non-commercial - this
is part of GPL V2.

The newer version from his website comes with a  different license as
you've pointed out.  That's the one that you'd need to pay for.

For what it is worth, I've not run into any difficulties with the
Sourceforge GPL-V2 release.

Hope this clears it up.

Lorne Tyndale