I assume you're talking about the "Power/Menu" button on the Sansa. It
has two labels, Power, and Menu. I suggest we use it as the "Power"
button is used on other targets, because there's also a second "Menu"
button on the Sansa that serves the purpose of the Menu button on
other targets perfectly well. This results in a consistent interface
among targets, and the only thing we ignore is that the button had a
dual purpose in the original firmware. The menu-only button is the
closest match to the "Menu" abstraction, and the "Power/Menu" button
is closest to the "Power/Stop" abstraction.

yes, but If what you want to do happens, the power/menu button (which
is probably the easiest button on the thing to press) becomes almost
never used.

I agree that some consistancy should be there, but I dont think that
making one target less user friendly for the sake of this is a good
idea.